Saturday, May 29, 2021

Day 1001 & a 1/2: Postscript

I named my blog after '2001 a Space Odyssey', and much like the Kubrick film of the same name, I feel as though I’ve gone through a dizzying, disorienting kaleidoscope and come out the other side as an old man and with a baby floating around somewhere in the mix. 

My copy of the book also looks like it's seen some sh*t.   The dust cover is missing, presumed dead, the spine has been ripped off and the whole thing is scarred with coffee rings, because I'm a slob.


 Though I've been listening to, writing and posting stuff about these albums in different places at different times, I believe I listened to the first album (Sinatra "In the Wee Small Hours") around 1 June 2016 and finished up Bowie's "The Next Day" 4 December 2020.   At the time Jenni commented that it would be weird that I'm not doing the 1001 any more because I'd been doing it the entire time she'd known me at that point.

I have loved this experience though.  It has opened my ears to new music, it's made me reassess bands I maybe made some unfair assumptions about, and even made me listen more intently than I have for a while to some old favourites (I often find myself becoming more and more of a passive listener as I get older).  I've enjoyed the experience of always having something lined up to listen to while at the same time being relaxed enough about it that I could totally blow it off if there was something outside the list that I'd prefer listening to at any given time.

My music collection has been added to throughout as I've been turned on to new things, and while there are lots of albums I'd deem more deserving to be in the list, and one or two albums on the list were 'just okay', there have been few stinkers.

As the old adage goes, "talking/writing about music is like dancing about architecture" so I'll sign off here and go play some more music.... I'll probably still talk about it though.




No comments:

Post a Comment