Monday, May 24, 2021

Day 0996 - In Our Heads

Hot Chip “In Our Heads” (2012)


I first became aware of Hot Chip through the quirky video for their single “Over and Over”… I do seem to pick up on a lot of music that way.  I think, even though I’m a big music fan, audio alone doesn’t always grab me.  I seem to connect more to music when I have a visual ‘hook’.

The album featuring that song was their second release “The Warning”.  This is their fifth album and finds them dealing in a similar brand of intellectual, geeky, catchy electro-pop

The album veers between being so derivatively 80s (such as on “Don’t Deny Your Heart”) that if someone said “I’m sure I saw these guys open for Duran Duran on their Rio tour” it’d be understandable.  Elsewhere on “Look at Where We Are” they sound completely contemporary with a gentle soul song with clean guitar over a subdued beat.   Mostly though they fall halfway between those extremes, 80s sounds and styles with enough modern touches to keep it from being a straight copy.   "Night and Day" changes things up a bit with an aggressive groove to it that sounds like it's come from the mid-late 90s dance scene.

The band’s three vocalists give them a little extra scope too so they can have vocal harmonies going or interplay between the three of them like on “Let Me Be Him”.    

Hot Chip are kind of on that borderline where I like what they do but can't quite muster enough enthusiasm to purchase any of their albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment